Thursday, June 22, 2006

Impressive Tantrum

Wild Thing threw an impressive tantrum last night. It lasted more than an hour and a half.

We sent him upstairs to bed at 8:00 p.m. to brush his teeth and get in pajamas. Wine Guy went up a few minutes later to tuck him in bed, and that's when the fireworks started. I heard increasingly loud screeches coming down the stairs: Wine Guy was dragging WT downstairs. Why? B/c WT had stripped the sheets off his bed. Despite all affirmations to the contrary, WT had also not done one iota to clean his trashed room.

The punishment was to sleep on the floor of the room, on top of all the crap and clothes. WT would have none of that. Nor would he lie down to sleep on the playroom floor, either. This kid screamed and punched and flailed and kicked until 9:45 p.m. He finally gave up and conked out on the playroom floor, only after extracting concessions for sofa cushions and his stuffed puppy, Stinky.

Wild Thing woke up bright and early at 6:00 a.m. He woke us up, complaining about something or another. He also tried to negotiate some half-assed deal so he could go to camp today. I could feel Wine Guy starting to give in, so I growled, "NO CAMP!" from the depths of my pillow.

Wizard barely managed to get up and ready on time today b/c he was up late listening to the tantrum. It's a shame b/c today is his 10th birthday. Moose got up on time, but, true to form, he and WT were playing and fooling around for 2 hours. I threw Moose and WT in the car and drove Moose to camp. He had no shoes or socks on. He was wearing an impressive pout, however. So much so he got a big hug from the camp director. I told her to put him down b/c he was in big trouble.

The great task of my day is to excavate Wild Thing's room with him. O, joy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, WT is still the boy of my heart. You know, all you have to do is mention his name and I melt. I hope he doesn't have another melt down like that for a very long time!!!
<3,
Anne

Sock Girl said...

Wow, that does sound impressive! I also love the term "excavation"... there's a few rooms around here that could use "excavation" as well :-)