Friday, January 05, 2007

Four For Friday

Sometimes Mondays are my less prolific days. Today I'm feeling uninspired, so I went trolling for a meme. Here are four completely unrelated questions for today.

Question 1 - Investing: If you had extra money to invest in 2007, where would you put it? Real Estate, the stock market, municipal bonds, a friend's start-up, in a savings account, in a hedge fund, under your mattress, in a foreign market, in U.S. savings bonds, mutual funds, precious metals, your 401K or IRA, baseball cards, or somewhere else?

  • If I had extra money to invest, I would put it into the stock market, municipal bonds, US Savings bonds, 526s for each of my kids and probably sink a few bucks into a precious metals fund. If I won the lottery, I'd pay off our mortgage, pay off our commercial loan and get back to being completely debt-free.

Question 2 - Execution: As recently as yesterday afternoon, nearly six days after it happened, U.S. President George W. Bush steadfastly denied having seen the video of former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's execution. Do you believe him?

  • I absolutely do not believe Shrub has not seen the video of Saddam's execution. In fact, he has probably screened it for everyone in the White House, including the janitor. I am sure he sent Poppy his very own copy.

Question 3 - Gays in the Military: A recent poll from Zogby International shows that U.S. military personnel are increasingly at ease serving with openly gay colleagues. The poll reveals that 73 percent of military members are not bothered by lesbians and gays serving alongside them. Nearly one in four (23 percent) service members polled reported knowing for certain that someone in their unit is lesbian or gay, including 21 percent of those in combat units. Do you feel gay people should be allowed to serve in the U.S. military, and despite what you believe, has you opinion on this matter changed any over the last 5-10 years?

  • Yes, gay people should be allowed to serve in the U.S. military. They are as able to fight and defend our country as anyone else. Singling them out is absurd. We might as well single out the wife-beaters, the pedophiles and the smokers. Ridiculous. I have always maintained that gays and women should serve in the military and in combat positions. The problem with today's armed forces is not their sex or sexual orientation, it's their intelligence and the adequacy of their armaments and training.

Question 4 - Movie: What was the last movie you saw, and would you recommend that I take my Mother to see it?

  • The last movie I saw was "Dreamgirls." The music and production were terrific. Jennifer Hudson was outstanding, and BeyoncĂ© was a snore. You definitely should take your mother to see it!

2 comments:

BunnyBubblette said...

Question 1: yeah, definitely pay off the mortgage and the college loans. If there was anything left after that, I'd ask our financial advisor how to invest it. That's what we're paying them for, after all!

Question 2: The first answer that popped into my head was "I don't believe ANYTHING that man says!" but I like your answer a whole lot more than mine.

Question 3: Yeah, exactly what you said.

Question 4: Little Miss Sunshine. Mr. Daddy and I watched it the other night on DVD because somebody told me it was a great movie back when it was in the theaters. I'm trying to remember who told me that. I'm guessing it was probably mll. I guess it was a good movie, but it was NOT a feel-good movie! Mr. Daddy enjoyed it because he enjoys watching any movie about families that are more dysfunctional than ours!

Robin said...

I like your answer to #2. That man is so juvenile and your answer fits him to a tee. I agree with you on #3, too.