Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Passover's Coming

Passover and a house full of company arrive next week, so today's chores involve cooking. Lots of cooking. I've just printed out a bunch of Passover recipes to peruse, but the most pressing task is the chicken soup. I make my matzah ball soup (and matzah balls) from scratch, and the soup must be made in advance – so that it can be strained, cooled, de-fatted, and frozen to keep until next week. I can't stand fatty chicken soup!

Also on today's cooking list is the brisket . . . not that salty, overcooked shoe leather that passes for brisket in most families. No, this is adapted from David Rosengarten's Wagyu (Kobe) brisket recipe. I know, I know, you're screaming, "Kobe brisket? Are you crazy? It costs a fortune!" Actually not. The cheaper cuts of Kobe beef (brisket, chuck, etc.) are only a dollar or two more per pound than regular beef. When cooked, the cheap cuts of Kobe beef are unbelievably good. Trust me! Look for the recipes on The Need To Feed.

In the meantime, I need to review what I need for the ceremonial meals (Passover seders) and make my grocery list. My favorite aunt gave me her recipe for doctoring gefilte fish, and I need to get that going, too. The housekeeper will come twice this week; once to clean, wash and polish everything in the breakfront, and once to clean the house. I have no idea whether WineGuy's family will be staying here – my parents and brothers won't come. Last I heard, the in-laws had made reservations to stay at some crappy motel 30 minutes away. Don't ask, don't tell, I suppose.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Ohhhhhhhhh -- my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

It looks like it will be a busy time for you.

That's a beautiful plate. Does it have a special use?

The brisket and soup are making me hungry.

Anonymous said...

Have a blessed Passover. Will the Moose ask the 4 questions? I love the Seder meal. The symbolism and the history is such a grounding experience.
My thoughts will be with all of you.
<3 Anne

Kel said...

I have always wanted to be part of a passover feast - the symbolism intrigues me

i look forward to sharing it via the pages of your blog :)