Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Germ Warfare

As if life weren't complicated enough, I woke up this morning with my throat nearly swollen shut. I could hardly swallow, and I felt like I was going to choke. This was at 6:00 a.m. when the door chimed as WineGuy was returning to work. [tick, tick goes the bp] I drank some water and sucked on a lozenge to see if that would help my throat. By 7:00 a.m. I sounded glottal, like Kermit the Frog. What was I going to do if I couldn't yell at my kids? ;-)

I beeped WineGuy and told him I needed to see a doctor today. He sent me to his internist and even set up the appointment for me. I got the boys to school and ran a couple of errands. I arrived at the doctor's office early and filled out all the forms. Dr. H called me in, ran a quick history and physical: no ear infection, no breathing problems, just a raging case of

STREP THROAT


Dr. H prescribed prednisone to bring down the swelling and a Z-pack to kill the germs. His nurse called the 'scrips' into the pharmacy, which had just filled two new prescriptions for WineGuy. Because his blood pressure was still dangerously high. My BP? Also high. It's no wonder considering the stress I've been under. And, sitting here just now, I'm getting lightheaded.

My germs and I need a few minutes' rest before we pick up the viral offspring from school.

1 comment:

Sock Girl said...

Oh my dear, that you did not need. What a hard time you've had of it with all the sickness in your household! I hope you get the time to get the rest you need, and I hope you are feeling much much better soon. (Hugs)