Sunday, May 20, 2007

What I'll Tell Alex Trebek

Part of the Jeopardy application process and audition includes is a personal statement in which you share five interesting things about yourself. They could be your proudest accomplishments, your greatest desire, or embarrassing stories. I was unsure what I would write, but I certainly knew I would not recount any embarrassing stories . . . like the time I [deleted] or when I [definitely deleted!].

I wrote down a few thoughts and then called BFF. She was a law-school classmate and then became my roommate. She was Phi Beta Kappa as an undergraduate and an honors graduate from law school. She is much smarter than I am and is always the person to whom I turn when I need artful wordcraft. BFF helped me refine and polish my list.

Here's what I'll tell Alex Trebek (when and if I go to Los Angeles):
  1. I have been singing in chorales for nearly 30 years. I have performed at Carnegie Hall and at the Kennedy Center. I perform regularly at the [Mytown] Philharmonic Center for the Performing Arts.
  2. My hobby is food. I love to cook it, to read and write about it, and (obviously) to eat it. I aspire to hosting my own radio show or podcast or restaurant review column one day.
  3. I desire to visit all seven continents and all 50 states. To date, I have traveled to four continents – Africa, Asia, Europe, North America – and 29 of the fifty United States.
  4. I traveled halfway across the country only to meet and marry the proverbial "guy next door".
  5. I am an attorney licensed to practice in two states, Florida and Pennsylvania, and three federal jurisdictions: U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
Did you know those things about me?

4 comments:

Mary said...

To me of all the things you posted the most surprising to me was the fact that you may ever need to turn to ANYONE for "artful wordcraft." You've got an amazing knowledge of language I'm amazed that you don't know all. WOW!!!

Anonymous said...

I knew #1 and #2, parts of #5.

They HAVE to pick you. You're much too interesting to let go.

Christina said...

I'm with Rambling Mom!!

Actually, I did know all 5. Clearly yapping virtually and in person over 11 years has given us many insights :-)

Kel said...

well may I say I'm privileged to know such an awesome woman!